We are searching for the final 10 fabulous musical theatre cast members for our new Junior Theatre Company show - Small World - the Musical!
OPEN AUDITIONS FOR MUSICAL THEATRE CHILDREN AGED 7-10
It's a Small World - The Musical!
Our older cast is now complete - but we have roles remaining for young actors aged 7-10 who love to act, sing and dance - and also love Disney!
The show is a fast paced trip around the wonderful world of Disney - inspired by the iconic ride 'It's a Small World'.
Join us for journeys through Africa, Asia, London and beyond! Featuring music from Lion King, Mary Poppins, Moana, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid and more!
- The show will be performed at the Kenton Theatre in Henley, July 2019.
The last few company members will be on stage a LOT and will be part of a large cast of junior actors, with special guests from Artemis College.
- Auditions are the first 6 weeks of Spring Term, with final principal casting (speaking roles) complete at half term.
Additional chorus roles will be available after February, subject to spaces being available.
- Rehearsals are Saturdays 10.30-1.45 for our younger cast- increasing to 2.45pm for the later half of Summer term.
- There are dress and tech rehearsals in Henley the week of the shows (2 evenings), with performances on the weekend.
- All cast will also take a Musical Theatre RSL graded exam (Trinity) during their show!
Our large scale shows are typically written for the cast, allowing everyone a speaking part, as well as a heavy amount of stage time (everyone is on stage at least 75% of the time - even when they don't have lines in that scene, it is a very inclusive process designed to build confidence and esteem). Performances are professionally produced in a mid scale theatre at the end of term. Cast have extra rehearsals in the run up to a show, before a weekend of performances. Parents do not pay for costumes or the extra rehearsal time - only tickets to see the shows (min 2 per child required). We perform to the public, and have superb feedback and reviews for the shows - which look like a professional cast! As well as rehearsing for the big show, younger students re kept busy prop making and helping design the decoration for the theatre lobby.
The Intermediates are the younger group within the Artemis Junior Theatre Company. The whole Junior Company are limited to 45 performers to ensure the highest levels of attention and quality of training. The course is taught by male and female staff to ensure balance and sufficient role-modeling. Although we have 7 as the guideline for joining, we will consider a younger child by trial/ability (6 is the minimum, and they must be happy to work without parents in the room). Each Saturday, students work with three tutors, three classroom assistants and two course managers. We have a safe, clean and stimulating environment - no one is allowed to be bored! Only adults employed by us with enhanced DBS checks have access to the class groups. We are Ofsted registered, and take the health, happiness and welfare of every child very seriously.
* In drama, students will learn about famous play writers and stage craft. Confidence, improved articulation and mastering the basics of the technical aspect of acting and performing (such as stage terminology) are three of the aims we set ourselves for our younger actors. They are encouraged to contribute ideas for shows.
* In music students work on songs together, and begin to learn to sight read sheet music, work on harmonies, how voices work and much more.
* For dance, fitness and agility are key, with through warm ups, a routine and the basic steps to build up to devising show dance. The dance is fun and even 'non dancers' will want to take part! Styles depend on the shows and exams, but include Jazz, Modern, Musical Theatre, Street and tumbling.
We ask all new members applying to join the Theatre Company to attend two Saturdays - for free - so tutors can assess them and they can see if they enjoy the sessions. No preparation is required. During the sessions actors will act, sing and dance, and take technique workshops. The sessions start at 10.30am and finish at 1.45pm on Saturdays- at Whitegrove Youth and Community Centre.
Please apply for a free two week trial workshop place by completing this form: APPLY
You will then be sent an invitation to confirm your first try out date. Please note - we are closed between 21st December and 2nd January - no one will be in the office during the Christmas holidays.
If you are applying after 20th,you will be emailed after 2nd January.
There are no fees to join a two week audition workshop. If you are successful in being offered a place in the Junior Company, termly fees of £297 per child will due. The first term will be discounted to reflect a free two week try out. Siblings get a discount of £30 each. We are Ofsted registered and accept Childcare Vouchers and childcare tax payments. There are no costume fees. If you wish to submit your child for a musical theatre exam - a small fee will be due (approx £15). Every cast member is required to purchase a minimum of two tickets for the show. This will be at discounted in-advance cast rates of £10 per ticket and will be added to your bill in Summer term.